Fabulous quinoa meets lovely mackerel in a definitely good for you salad. It’s scrumptious super and packed with nutrients. It also tastes wonderful and has a nice crunch. A perfect salad for a big lunch to share with your family&friends.
Preparation + cooking time: 70 min / Serves 4
We would need:
- 1 medium sized sweet potato, unpeeled
- Olive oil
- 100 g quinoa, dry
- 300 ml of water
- 1/2 of vegetable stock cube
- 1/2 of red onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 of medium cucumber, sliced into thin rounds (or shaped as half-rounds)
- 3 handfuls of rocket salad
- 4 smoked mackerel fillets (you can use smoked salmon if you like)
For the dressing:
- 1 tbp of wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbp of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 5 tbp of olive oil
- Some salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4/ 350°F/ 180 °C.
- Pierce sweet potato several times with the tines of a fork. Then place it on a baking sheet lined with foil, drizzle over olive oil and bake until tender, for about 45 minutes.
- Place the quinoa in a sieve and rinse under running cold water. Shake off as much water as possible. Bring 300 ml of water with added stock cube to the boil in a large saucepan, then add the quinoa. Stir well, cover with a lid, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes until the most of the water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat, drain off any excess water and allow to rest for 10 minutes. After, separate the grains with a fork.
- Put the quinoa, sliced onion, cucumber and rocket salad in a big serving bowl.
- Take the skins off the mackerel fillets and break into big flakes. Add into the bowl. Give it a good stir to combine.
- By now the sweet potato should be roasted. Take it out of the oven and let to rest until cool enough to handle. Discard the skin and cut into smaller bite-size pieces. I used a scoop utensil to give them a round-shape. Toss into the salad.
- For the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together the mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the oil to make a creamy dressing.
- Drizzle the salad with dressing, garnish with a lemon and serve. Bon app!
TIP: To minimize the preparation time you can use ready to eat quinoa grains and bake the sweet potato night before.
For Vegan version of the salad, you can simply replace mackerel with bits of avocado.