This fun looking salad is one of the must have dishes on the New Year’s eve table for nearly every Russian family. It is also known as shuba or seledka pod shuboi (cеледка под шубой in Cyrillic), and is basically a layered salad made of diced pickled herring coated with chopped boiled vegetables and covered with mayonnaise. There are numerous variations of this recipe and all of them are fantastic! And today I want to share my version of Dressed herring. Traditional recipes use a lot of Mayo and eggs, however, I prefer it to be more light, so instead of having eggs, I mix in some apples for additional crunch. I hope you will like it!
- 2 fillets of pickled herring in oil, chopped
- 2 large boiled potatoes, cooled, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, cooled, peeled and shredded
- 2 large beets boiled, cooled, peeled and shredded (alternatively, you can buy pre-boiled beets)
- 1/2 of medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 apples, grated
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- Black pepper
- Parsley or dill for garnish (optional)
CREATING PINK WONDER:
- Start with boiling the potatoes, beets and carrots until tender. You can do it in the same saucepan if you like, in this case you would need just to remove the veggies that become soft (but not mushy) and continue cooking the rest. Carrots should take about 15 -20 minutes to cook, potatoes around 40 minutes and the beets about an hour +.
- Then cool, peel and completely shred the beets and carrots, and chop the potatoes. As well prepare the rest of ingredients – chop the onion, piece the herring and shred the apple. Now the fun part begins!
- Pick your best looking serving platter and start composing the salad. You will notice straight away that is quite fun thing to do :) On the bottom place the entire portion of chopped potatoes and toss some of chopped onion. If you prefer more rich dressing, at this point you can cover completely the first layer with Mayo. Next, place your entire batch of herring on top of the potatoes, cover it with carrots, then with apples and finally with grated beets. Add some black pepper to your liking and coat it richly with the Mayo. Garnish with parsley or dill.
- I would recommend you to refrigerate the salad before serving at least for 6 hours, during that time the Mayo will sink in and all layers stick together nicely. Приятного аппетита!