This is one of the most delicious tarts around, as it combines two of my favourites: tomatoes and savoury pastry. Rich in flavour, joyful and easy-to-prepare. Once made, it will constantly reappear on your dinner table.
For the amazing tart we would need:
- 250 g of wheat flour
- 5 tbsp. of cold water
- 100 g of butter, cold and cubed. Plus some more for baking pan
- 1 tsp. of baking powder
- 3 free-range eggs
- 400 g of fresh tomatoes
- 300 g of cottage cheese
- Some salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Some rosemary (optional)
1. To make the pastry, sift the flour into a bowl, add baking powder and a good pinch of salt, then add the cubed butter and about 4-5 tablespoons of water. Mix continuously until it comes together to form a rough dough, you can also add more water if needed. Shape the dough and on floured surface roll it into a disk.
2. After that pick 26-28 cm wide baking pan and rub it well with the butter. Gently ease dough into baking pan and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cut and de-seed the tomatoes, leave 1 for garnishing; and prepare the filling: mix cottage cheese with eggs, salt and pepper.
4. Once the dough is out of the fridge, cover the bottom with chopped tomatoes, pour over our mix of cottage cheese and decorate the top with bits of tomato.
5. Bake for 50 minutes or until golden at 180 C.
6. Remove tart from oven and let stand until room temperature before slicing into wedges and serving.
Recipe courtesy by Neringa.