Rich and tender pastry along with a melange of harmonious savoury flavours…a real treat! Sliced up and served with a salad makes it a delightful main course for your weekday suppers or even family get-togethers. I am so excited to share this recipe with you!
- 250 g of wheat flour
- 1 tsp. of baking powder
- 100 g of butter, cold and diced; and some more for baking
- 5 tbsp. of cold water
- 1 medium onion
- 100 g of green beans
- 100 g of smoked salmon
- 2 eggs
- 75 g of Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to the taste
- Some tomatoes (for garnishing)
- First the pastry: Sift the flour into a large bowl, add baking powder and a good pinch of salt along with the diced butter. Splash in 5 tbsp. of cold water and mix continuously until it comes together. Don’t worry about making the dough smooth, we are just combining all the ingredients into a slightly sticky mass. Lastly, shape the dough into a disk.
- After preparing your baking pan, push the soft pastry into your tart ring. Do the sides first and then the base until you get an even casing with no holes. Let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the over to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6 and start working on the filling.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and sauté finely chopped onion over a gentle flame until soft and golden. Add green beans to the pan and cook more for a couple of minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs and cheese together. Mix in veggies and bits of smoked salmon.
- Pour the filling mixture onto the tart, using a spoon if necessary to spread it out evenly. Sprinkle the rest of the Parmesan on top. Garnish with slices of tomato (optional).
- Bake until golden brown, or about 50 minutes. If your tart is not golden enough, just put it under the grill for a few seconds.
- Let it rest for about 15 minutes for flavours to settle before slicing into wedges and serving. Bon app!
Prefer a different flavour? Here are some ideas of good savoury tarts combinations:
- Courgette, pepper & feta
- Bacon, sweetcorn & cheddar
- Mushroom & ham
- Roasted vegetables
- Smoked salmon & cream cheese
- Mustard, sausage & apples
- Tuna, pepper, mushroom & cream cheese
- Smoked salmon & asparagus
- Artichoke & Feta