I am absolutely in love with Italian food and focaccia bread is a beautiful superb accompaniment to go with it. It looks great, it tastes amazing and what’s important is super-easy to make. See for yourself!
Preparation + cooking time: over 2 hours
We would need:
- 500 g of strong white bread flour
- 1 sachet of dried yeast
- 400 ml of lukewarm water
- fine sea salt
- olive oil
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- Italian herbs
- Leftover cheese (optional)
- Place the flour into a large bowl, add 2 tbsp of salt and make a well in a middle.
- Fill it with the lukewarm water, add the yeast. Allow few minutes for the yeast to melt, then mix the entire content to make a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Take a baking pan and drizzle some olive oil to the bottom.
- Pour the dough into the pan and spread it evenly.
- Cut the tomatoes and assemble them over the top.
- Pour 3/4 cup of olive oil over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and Italian herbs over the entire focaccia.
- Put the pan in the oven heated at Gas mark 1/ 275 °F/ 140 °C and leave it there to rise for one hour.
- After increase the temperature to Gas Mark 7/425 °F/220 °C and cook for another 30 minutes, or until it is golden-brown all over.
- Can be served warm or completely cooled. Buon Appetito!
Yet another exciting moment about focaccia bread is that you can experiment with the different toppings endlessly, or even add them into the actual dough. Here are just a few ones for you to try:
- Tradizione – olive oil and sea salt flakes (herbs)
- Sun-dried tomatoes & basil
- Pesto & Mozzarella
- Garlic & Rosemary