This hearty, delicious warming soup uses some basic food cupboard ingredients and comes together very easily, which makes it perfect for chilly winter days. Keep the winter out and warmth in with this spicy & flavoursome bowl of soup.
Preparation + cooking time: 45-50 min / Serves 2 / Veg-friendly
We would need:
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 big potato, diced
- 1/3 of celery stick, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 x 400 g can of chopped tomatoes
- 6 cups of vegetable stock
- Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp. of sweet paprika
- 1 pinch of dried red chilli
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 tsp. of chopped fresh parsley or ½ dried
- 1 x 400 g can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan and when hot, add onion and carrot.
- Stir in diced potato, celery, garlic and red bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes.
- Tin in the tomatoes and add the stock. Season with salt & pepper. Sprinkle in sweet paprika and a pinch of dried chilli, add bay leaf. Allow to simmer on a low heat for about 20 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Finish off by adding red kidney beans and parsley. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Soup is now ready to serve, add a dash of natural yoghurt or Crème fraîche if you like. Is great with a hunk of bread.