This is a delicious and warming soup, superb on a cold day. A winning combination of roasted bell peppers and other soup-friendly veggies like onions, leek, carrots, celery and garlic, accompanied by cumin and a bit of garam masala takes it up a notch. It’s also exceptionally velvety and rich in flavour. Add some red pepper flakes for a spicy kick.
Preparation + cooking time: 60 -70 min / Serves 2 or 4 for starter/ Veg-friendly
We would need:
- 3 large bell peppers (red, orange and yellow), halved and seeded
- Olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 leek, cleaned and trimmed, white parts only
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 tbsp of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp of garam masala
- 1 tbsp of sweet paprika
- 2 bay leaf
- 3 cups of vegetable stock
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 of heavy cream
- Preheat oven to Gas mark 7/ 425°F/ 220 °C.
- Place peppers, cut-side down, on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil to lightly coat each pepper. Roast until flesh is tender and skin blisters and turns black, for 20-25 minutes.
- Once the peppers are blackened, remove them from the oven and transfer to a medium-sized bowl and cover (alternatively you can use a plastic bag). Allow the peppers to steam for at least 10 minutes. Uncover and let them rest until cool enough to handle. After remove and discard the charred pepper skins.
- The soup: place onion, leek and carrot into a saucepan and cook until onion is softened and translucent, for a few minutes.
- Add celery, garlic and parsley and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Put in the cumin, garam masala, sweet paprika and bay leaf, stir to combine.
- Add roasted peppers and vegetable stock, turn to low heat, place a lid on the saucepan and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, adjust for seasoning and stir in the cream. Blend until smooth.
- Serve in cups, garnished with a pinch of freshly grounded black pepper and a splash of cream. Bon app!