I dumped meat years ago, though some of my treasured summer moments have involved shashlyki (skewered meat cooked on a grill next to the lake or forest in a company of friends or family). Nonetheless it was relatively easy breakup for me – for one thing sure, I couldn’t go completely vegan as eggs & dairy, especially cheese, kept me tight.
I love eggs too. For their simplicity and yet limitless possibilities with egg-based dishes. Like this dreamy delicious egg-treat with whole creamy yolks and a cloud of egg whites baked to perfection. If you keep a good relationship with meat – you can also mix in some cooked breakfast sausage or bacon, for the rest of us – sautéed onion & fresh herbs will make an excellent choice.
Magnificent Egg Clouds
Preparation + cooking time: 15 min / Serves 2
We would need:
- 2 free-ranged eggs
- a good pinch of grated parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- some freshly chopped chives
- Preheat oven to Gas mark 8/ 450°F/ 230 °C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Separate eggs, putting whites in one large bowl and yolks in a separate little cups.
- Whip the whites until stiff peaks form, for about 2 minutes.
- Gently stir in the cheese (bacon bits or sautéed onion), then divide the whites into 2 “cloud” shapes and place them on the baking sheet. Create a deep well in a the center or each cloud.
- Bake for 3 minutes, then add yolk to each well and bake for another 2 to 3 minutes or until yolks are just set.
- Season with salt & pepper , garnish with and serve hot! Bon app!