My first conscientious rendezvous to the kitchen happened when I was about 15 years old. Surely I have seen my grandmother & mother busy juggling of pots and occasionally even helped them out, but the big fascination for the kitchen magic occurred to me years later. It is truly amazing how some simple Tips&Tricks can help you get off on the right foot in the kitchen and whip up a delicious dinner. Here are some of my AHA!-moments:
Keep your kitchen clean
The kitchen is the heart and center of the home but usually gets dirty fast. If you have dishes piled up in the sink, most likely you won’t be really in the mood to cook a fresh meal. Everyone knows how tiring deep-cleaning marathons over the weekend can be, just make sure you spent a few moments to clean your kitchen every day, so it is fresh every time you use it.
Clean-up as you go
Spending any amount of time in the kitchen usually results in dirty dishes. We can miss out on a savoring meal due to the thought of massive cleaning-up waiting for us. Simply wash up during your preparation or while waiting for meal to be done. Then it never takes all that long to finish up the leftover dishes after eating. This will make the most of your time while you’re already in the kitchen, so you’ll have the rest of your day free.
As you cook, toss food scraps and other garbage into a large bowl (plastic bag). This will contain mess and save time as well as make your cooking space bigger and less cluttered.
Start with simple meals
Simple meals are the best way to start your cooking lessons, gain some confidence and put in practice basic food preparation techniques. If things don’t work out straight away, please don’t get discouraged! Just try again. And remember, simple meals are just as filling as anything gourmet!
How to quickly peel Tomatoes
My favourite method is by boiling water, especially if you have a larger batch of tomatoes to peel.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Prepare a bowl of ice water.
- Clean tomatoes, hull the stems and slice a shallow X in the bottom.
- Boil the tomatoes, for around 45 seconds, or till you see the X starting to wrinkle and split. Then scoop the tomatoes out and transfer to the ice water bath.
- Transfer cooled tomatoes to a cutting board and gently peel back the skins.
How to quickly melt chocolate
Heating chocolate indirectly makes it easier to keep the melting temperature low and controlled.
- Break chocolate into smaller bits and place into a heatproof bowl.
- Sit over a pan of barely simmering water and occasionally stir until the chocolate has fully melted. Be careful not to splash water.
- Once melted, use as required.
How to squeeze more juice out of your citrus
To optimize the amount of juice you get from a lemon or lime, just roll it hard under your palm for a minute before juicing.